How about some Halloween spirit around here? Or at least some Halloween avatars?

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 9 Oct, 2011 08:23 pm
@jcboy,
Are you sure he isn't Groucho Marx reincarnated? Keep him away from those nasty bubble gum cigars.... Razz
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:33 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

man, let me get through Thanksgiving first!

Okay. It's more then 12 hours since Canadian Thanksgiving! What's the hold up?? Surprised
Rockhead

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:40 pm
@tsarstepan,
I considered it, but it's hard to dress up the rock.

and I'm kinda scary already...
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 12:53 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
and I'm kinda scary already...

Yes... yes you are. Confused
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 11 Oct, 2011 01:35 pm
This time of year has never really meant ghosts and ghoulies and trick or treating to me. It's always been a time of loud bangs and explosions, so I've chosen an avatar more in keeping with blowing things up.
Roberta

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 03:11 pm
So I'm on my way to the hospital, and I see that each and every fire escape of a building on York has a ghost dangling from it.

Halloweeny stuff?

Haunting?

Hallucination?
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 05:52 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
This time of year has never really meant ghosts and ghoulies and trick or
treating to me. It's always been a time of loud bangs and explosions, so
I've chosen an avatar more in keeping with blowing things up.
I was wondering who that was.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 13 Oct, 2011 06:07 pm
@George,
Guido (Guy) Fawkes. Some would say he was the only man to enter Parliament with honest intentions. The most notable member of the Gunpowder Plot. We celebrate his failure to blow up the Houses of Parliament every 5th November.
Remember, remember the 5th of November with gunpowder, treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder season should ever be forgot.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 07:53 am
@George,
Kind of struck me as a pilgrim.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:37 am
@Sturgis,
Hardly, Guido Fawkes was Catholic.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:42 am
@izzythepush,
Can't tell that by the cheap hat and white collar. Same garb as a pilgrim.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:44 am
@Sturgis,
You would know that if you knew anything about History.
wayne

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:49 am
Ok, I'm in with the avatars.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:53 am
@izzythepush,
I know more about history than you most likely ever will. That aside, I was writing of what the person in your avatar is wearing, and you can't tell religion by his hat and collar.

(and he still looks quite eerily similar to Pilgrims)
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 08:56 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

I know more about history than you most likely ever will.

You've shown that with your familiarity with the gunpowder plot. You've not demonstrated a lot of historical knowledge prior to now, which is strange considering you've not got a lot of it in the first place (History that is.)
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:37 am
@wayne,
I love your Halloween avatar Wayne!
http://www.gravatar.com/avatar/7e29d88dde53c0d9a4fe83f0af373771?r=R&d=identicon&s=180
Sturgis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:38 am
@izzythepush,
What gunpowder plot? I am not a scriptwriter darling.

For the record, I entered college and had a minor in history, World History. I have taken courses in ancient history as well. My degrees in the sciences and education (former teacher) did nothing to negate my interest in history. If I'd been more ambitious, I might well have become an archaeologist...just wasn't much into camping out for weeks or months at a time while on a research mission.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:41 am
@Sturgis,
Do you have google in your neck of the woods? We do, and guess what, if you type in gunpowder plot, this is the first thing that pops up.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot
Sturgis

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 09:47 am
@izzythepush,
and why, pray tell oh sainted prattler, would I have had cause to type in 'gunpowder'? Even having done that, it says nothing of Guy Fawkes' hat and collar being typical Catholic raiment. They still look Pilgrimish to me, with or without gunpowder. Further, my first statement was merely that I had thought your avatar was of a Pilgrim. That was all it was.
izzythepush

Reply Fri 14 Oct, 2011 11:32 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
and why, pray tell oh sainted prattler, would I have had cause to type in 'gunpowder'?

Probably because you claim to know something about History. The garb is 17th Century, not Pilgrim. History didn't start with the Pilgrims you know.
0 Replies