Why do you suppose Jesus never condemned slavery?

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:18 pm
@reasoning logic,
I usually don't bother with you, but in this case i'll respond. It is precisely because Frank repeats, ad nauseum, his mantra about knowing and not knowing that i consider this an exercise in baiting believers, and especially in light of his habit of bating the religious over the years at this site. Basically, Sozobe shot down the basis for the thread on page one, which is why i quoted her post. But Frank has maintained the discussion as though this were a serious topic of discussion. It's not, it's just Frank indulging his love of bashing the dominant religion of this country. I have no way of knowing, of course, but i suspect it's because he carries a lot of baggage of resentment gainst christianity. After the religious wars in the early years of this sit, although i still love to go after pompous religious types, i basically gave up this passtime a long time ago. It's childish and tedious.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:21 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Apparently, you don't know what the word hypocrisy means.

Quote:
1. The practice of professing beliefs, feelings, or virtues that one does not hold or possess; falseness.
2. An act or instance of such falseness.

Source

It seems patent to me that you do not possess the virtue for which you criticize me as not possessing.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:29 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
See Frank, you can't get through a post without the puerile cheap shot. This meme of me being angry has never worked, Frank.

You have a great deal of trouble in that area also, Setanta...and as for the "meme of you being angry"...it most assuredly has worked. And it is evident to anyone listening to your posts.

Quote:
Why don't you get real Frank. You started this thread to bait christians.

I started this thread to ask a question I considered important...and interesting. It seems to me that if you do not consider it important or interesting you should not be involved in it. But you were one of the first responders.

We discussed my motivations early in the thread. I will stick with that...and your suppositions about my motives are nothing more than suppositions...and incorrect ones at that.

Quote:
Sadly, it hasn't really worked out for you.

It has worked out just fine. It was started years ago...and is still going. What makes you think it hasn't worked?

Quote:
However, the topic assumes that Jesus existed and that he never condemned slavery. If you now acknowledge that you cannot know if he existed or not, and that you cannot know if he ever actually condemned slavery or not, that's sufficient for me.

Good, I am glad we can agree on something.

Quote:
It exposes the thread for what it is--not a serious discussion, but just another trademark Frank Apisa attempt to pick a fight with some unexpecting christians.

It doesn't do anything of the sort. It is a serious thread...and has been treated seriously by many, many people over the years. And it is, in my opinion, an important discussion to havve.

Quote:
How sad for you that none of them fell for it.

That is so trite...and so predictable, Setanta.

In any case, I've had many people discuss the issue with me and I am satisfied with the discussion. Sorry you cannot be, but that is your problem.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:31 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
This post from Soz, from page one, sums up nicely just how foolish this thread is. If you had kept it at the level of vague speculation, it might have had some merit, but you have consistently argued on the basis that Jesus did not condemn slavery. Your beef is with scripture, not Jesus, but you want to be provocative, because that's what you're all about Frnak. Always hoping to get a rise out someone. You're a sad case.

Not a sad case at all, Setanta. I am a very happy guy...and enjoying life and discussions with people who can stay calm and discuss matters like adults. And I even enjoy some of my discussions with you.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You cannot get through a post without the cheap shot. You are a sad case, whether or not you are smugly happy with yourself.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:38 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, it doesn't work Frank. I'm not angry, and you just say so out of wishful thinking. You're just not that important. How can the question be important to anyone but a christian? Slavery is not practiced in the United States, so it is not an issue here. No christians that i know of are advocating slavery and using Jesus as an excuse. I'm sure you consider it an interesting discussion--that doesn't alter that it is basically a dishonest discussion.

To claim that this is a serious thread is nonsense. It's an exercise, typical of you over the years, in criticizing organized religion. To that extent, it's a pointless exercise. One more example of you pretending to know what you don't know: you have no idea whether or not i am "satisfied" with this discussion. In fact, i'm satisfied that it's another glaring example of your obsession with organized religion, and what you see as its failings.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:48 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You cannot get through a post without the cheap shot. You are a sad case, whether or not you are smugly happy with yourself.

Sure I can.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:50 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You're just not that important

This is definitely one of your favorite positions to take towards those who question your thinking or am I incorrect?

Quote:
How can the question be important to anyone but a christian?

Well you may have a point here because I consider myself to be a Christian atheist. But I am not sure that it only applies to Christians.

Quote:

To claim that this is a serious thread is nonsense. It's an exercise, typical of you over the years, in criticizing organized religion.

I very well may be wrong but you seem as you have something to lose by Frank asking such questions. It seems as though you are acting out as a wolf in sheep's clothing or should I say a sociopath that is a high priest of the church " a high priest of the Status quo?

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 04:59 pm
@reasoning logic,
You are incorrect; it is what i say to people who use the cheap rhetorical trick of alleging that i am angry. I have nothing to lose here. It's incredible that one needs to constantly remind people of this, but this is what we come here to do. To discuss, to debat and to argue are the objects of participation here. Although Frank may think he is insulted when told his thesis is silly, it's actually germane to question anyone's premises in a thread. No, i have nothing to lose, i'm just doing what we do here.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:00 pm
@Frank Apisa,
You almost gave me a heart attack.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:00 pm
@Setanta,
" i'm just doing what we do here. "

picking nits off of frank's butt?

I prefer mad to angry.

like the hatter...
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:02 pm
@Rockhead,
You know, i've avoided responding to you, and i never go into your threads, because i consider you a creep. You've made anough really nasty remarks about me in the past that i'm surprised that you would say anything to me. Do yourself and your sex life a favor, and go **** yourself.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:04 pm
@Setanta,
you're hilarious...

smooches.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:05 pm
For what it's worth (which probably ain't much): Setanta and I have, from time to time, disagreed quite significantly on certain points. To the best of my recollection, we have never had a shouting match that included hurling insults at each other. It's all in how you argue a case. If you respect your opponent and his/her point of view, this will generally come across even in the impersonal kinds of posts we type here. I don't have to agree with Frank's contention nor with Setanta's point of view in order to be civil and courteous to them.

'Nuff said.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:06 pm
@Rockhead,
Kiss kiss, Creepo . . .
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:07 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Yeah, but that's because Seaglass terrifies me . . .
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:08 pm
@Setanta,
Laughing

You've got good sense to be terrified.

Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:09 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
No, it doesn't work Frank. I'm not angry, and you just say so out of wishful thinking.

Oh, it works! You are angry.

Quote:
You're just not that important.

Then why is an important guy like you spending so much time with me?

Quote:
How can the question be important to anyone but a christian? Slavery is not practiced in the United States, so it is not an issue here. No christians that i know of are advocating slavery and using Jesus as an excuse. I'm sure you consider it an interesting discussion--that doesn't alter that it is basically a dishonest discussion.

I'm sorry you are unable to see more deeply into the question. But it is an important question. It goes to the heart of the Bible of the Old Testament. And I think questions about the Old Testament are reasonable questions for consideration.

Quote:
To claim that this is a serious thread is nonsense.

Only to you. Too bad you don't think it is serious, because you have been a good sport about participating in what you consider a non-serious thread. If you had realized it is a serious thread, I am sure you would have contributed even more.

Quote:
It's an exercise, typical of you over the years, in criticizing organized religion. To that extent, it's a pointless exercise. One more example of you pretending to know what you don't know: you have no idea whether or not i am "satisfied" with this discussion. In fact, i'm satisfied that it's another glaring example of your obsession with organized religion, and what you see as its failings.

That was kinda garbled, Setanta, but that probably is a result of you being so angry. Try to calm down. Get control. You'll feel better. Really.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:13 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, i'm not angry Frank. That's just a really childish attempt to portray me as emotional and irrational, while you are the voice of cool reason.

Now that is really funny.
Setanta

Reply Sat 22 Sep, 2012 05:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Which part of the Old Testament were you examining for evidence that Jesus condemned slavery, Frank? That's your problem right there.