Do you use a mood relaxant

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 02:07 pm
….that is, home nostrum such as 5-htp, ginseng, kava kava, or St John's wort

If so (1) have you found it effective, (2) If you've used more than one, how would you compare them, and did you notice any correlation between price and effectiveness, (3) If you've taken any for an extended period, have you noted untoward side effects

(4) In this respect have you ever Googled and if so did you find any hit especially revealing

(5) And finally if you ever used instead a prescription med for the purpose, were you aware of significant side effects
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 2,065 • Replies: 16
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:22 pm
@dalehileman,
you forgot velarian, which is a substitute for valium.
Never used em because, since theyre not a med that's undergone any testing, no one is certain o side effects. The side effects only come out after significant use wherein YOU are the guinea pig (or lab rat), I don't like omeone blowing smoke upmy ass about something that they can show me no results except hearsay or personal testimonials.
There are ltsa "Nostrums" out there that can harm you.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 03:29 pm
Does Whiskey count?
dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 04:18 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
There are lotsa "Nostrums" out there that can harm you.
That's probably very true, Man, but I'd bet the PMs are far worse in that respect. Effectiveness aside it's almost paradoxical you should pay more for the more serious side effects
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 04:21 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
Does Whiskey count?
Unfortunately one side effect of alcohol if not hangover is oft a later depression, the very problem the whiskey was meant to relieve
roger

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 04:25 pm
@dalehileman,
At one time, I tried St. John's wort, to no effect. There is a caution on that one, by the way. It is supposed to have a bad interaction with at least some kinds of general anesthesia, so if you are anticipating surgery it would be best to leave it alone.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 04:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Quote:
Unfortunately one side effect of alcohol if not hangover is oft a later depression, the very problem the whiskey was meant to relieve

No problem. There is always more whiskey.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 08:52 pm
@dalehileman,
Ever since I started doing it a few months ago, swimming does wonders to relax my mood and lessen my stress, so much so that I make an effort to get up at 5:30 most mornings so I'll have a full 3 hours of swimming and water exercises before I have to start my day.
JTT

Reply Wed 10 Jul, 2013 10:38 pm
@dalehileman,
Debating with Farmerman is what I do to relax, Dale. He's always a no show so it's a piece of cake. Smile

Also the language threads are a great way to relax.
laughoutlood

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 04:45 am
@dalehileman,
Gardening is relaxing and nostrums are easily propagated.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 09:38 am
@roger,
Quote:
At one time, I tried St. John's wort, to no effect.
Thank you Rog for that report. Signs of effectiveness are sometimes subtle. While I hadn't noticed at all, during the period when I had run out of St John's wort my Better Half says I was radically moody and depressed until resuming the nostrum

Quote:
….a bad interaction with at least some kinds of general anesthesia…….
Thank you also for that warning
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 09:46 am
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
….., swimming does wonders…..
Thanks kindly for that report But. Coincidentally when after a chilly spring we resumed our daily swim at 4 pm, I noted the very same effect, lasting even beyond bedtime. It's interesting to speculate whether exercise might somehow diminish some obscure chem in the bloodstream; in which case another counteractive might be found that would keep one on an even keel the rest of the day
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 09:54 am
@laughoutlood,
Quote:
Gardening is relaxing and nostrums are easily propagated.
Thanks Lood for that suggestion. In this regard do you have any faves

……. and given the rising cost of water as well as the requirement to clean off accumulated dust and residues of cat pee, then determine best dosage, I am wondering whether it might be easier if not cheaper to order the pills from Swanson
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 11 Jul, 2013 10:37 am
@JTT,
Quote:
Also the language threads are a great way to relax.
Thanks JTT tho I find instead almost any sort of thread stimulating, part of the reason I inquire about mood relaxants
0 Replies

margo

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:01 pm
St Johns Wort interacts with a whole shitload of other drugs, including a goodly number of life saving ones, not just anaesthetics.
Debacle

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 02:50 pm
@margo,
Once upon a time a bartender, something of a philosopher, I believe, told me the secret of staying relaxed is to keep the mind full and the bowels empty. To that end he fixed me a drink comprised of milk of magnesia and vodka, what he called a Phillips Screwdriver. At first it seemed to produce the opposite effect, but eventually, a day or two later, I was able to relax. However, I'm not sure I would recommend it as a relaxative, unless taken with a grain of salt.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 12 Jul, 2013 03:31 pm
@margo,
Thank you Margo, that's a very pertinent observation in light of a recent claim by one such downer so remarkable that it might deserve its own thread

http://able2know.org/topic/218010-1
0 Replies