Pittsburgh - anything to see?

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 11:05 am
I am going to be in the Pittsburgh area mid-June for a few days. Is there anything of interest to see/do? I will most likely be with my mom so night clubs and partying will be out (not to mention I am getting a little old for it as well).

Any suggestions, please let me know - also on places/areas to stay. Doesn't matter where exactly but any where within an hour's drive that could be of interest.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 1,456 • Replies: 21
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:02 pm
@Linkat,
What interests you?

I like Pittsburgh. Good museums and an excellent botanical garden. I'd do the Carnegie, Frick and Warhol museums again for sure. I like the park that contains Fort Pitt because I'm a low level history buff.

Do you like chain hotels or boutique hotels? The Priory is a well-rated boutique hotel that used to be a monastery - good location and their shuttle van will transport you to restaurants at night.
Miller

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 12:42 pm
Baseball: Pirates
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks I guess I just want to know what is there ...as far as hotels I would like to pay under $100 a night and won't need many perks so I wouldn't mind a boutique...just want something somewhat nice and clean and safe for me and mom.

I am going as my daughter has a three night stay and camp at a college that is her top choice. It is about an hour from Pittsburgh so I figured it would give me the opportunity to see it. The college is too far from the airport for her to fly and get to by herself and because we would have equipment and sheets and stuff as she will be staying in the dorms it made sense to drive.

I might also scope out some other colleges for her while I am there. I am just looking for some low level type of entertainment and maybe something to just get the feel of the area.
Sturgis

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:21 pm
@Linkat,
Pittsburgh is filled with all sorts of fantastic things to see and do.

Museums (for almost any interest. In adition to ehBeth's listing, there's the Mattress Factory and the Heinz History Center and the Mexican War street district.

Sports- it's baseball season and the PNC park, home of the Pirates is a short walk over the 6th Street bridge from downtown. Even if there isn't a game you can look in and see the field, get a feel of how magnificent it must be to be there on game day.

The Aviary (short walk over the bridge on the north side)

If the 2 of you are into walking, a walk along E.Carson on the south side is enjoyable, plenty of shops and places to grab a bite and see some older structures,

Be sure to head over to South Side. Right across the Smithfield Bridge you can grab the Monongahela incline, take a short ride up to Mount Washington and get a spectacular view of the city. Look towards your left while up there and you can spot Heinz Field where the Steelers play when at home.

Plenty of cultural events involving music as well.

Places to stay? I have tended to go big with the Omni William Penn. Have always lucked out with good room price by going through one of those online thingies.

Plenty of public transit...mainly bus, there is also a light rail system although it is quite limited. The T is free in North side and downtown. Buy a transit card on Smithfield (not sure of the exact address)

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:22 pm
@Miller,
I thought about that. I wonder if they are in town.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:26 pm
@Sturgis,
Thanks those are some ideas. My mom does like to poke into little shops and I views and the outdoors so I think some of those ideas work well. I don't mind museums ... I especially like the more unusual ones and enjoy light history.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:33 pm
I looked up both those hotels and love them. Depending I might have to increase my price per night as they are about double what I was hoping to pay.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:35 pm
Does anyone know this hotel... the mansion at maple heights?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:36 pm
How about the inn on the Mexican war streets..the omni was over $300
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:49 pm
@Linkat,
I think you'll have trouble staying under $100/night unless you're in a Motel 6/Red Roof Inn kind of place that's a bit out of the way.

I picked a random June weekend and quite a few places are already booked up per Expedia.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:48 pm
@Sturgis,
Your description and others' makes me want to go there. I've been through it with my parents way back when, but we didn't stop.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 04:49 pm
@ehBeth,
I was thinking in the 1000 range ...it will be during the week not a weekend.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:04 pm
@Linkat,
Do some sample bookings to see what happens. Weekend prices in places like Pittsburgh are often lower as there is better availability - weeknights are higher - conventions/business meetings etc.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 06:59 pm
@ehBeth,
hopefully you're going after June 20th
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 08:57 pm
@ehBeth,
I don't have a choice of when to stay. My daughter is going onon specific days.
Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:00 pm
@ehBeth,
Yes it is the Monday and Tuesday after. We will be there that Sunday but I plan to stay outside do Pittsburgh that night. Something going on before?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:00 pm
@Linkat,
I understand that.

Just hinting at the results I got when I ran different sets of dates <something my dad and I do for fun>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:01 pm
@Linkat,
That's good as the week before things are already quite booked out in comparison to the week after.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:04 pm
@Linkat,
http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/events-festivals/

this turns out to be handy

you can sort the events by week