Way too many citizens being killed by police!

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 08:05 am
There are way too many shootings or other happenings that result in the death of people at the hands of the police…with very little or no accountability for the cops.

That has got to stop.

But…how to do it?

Well…one way might be to REQUIRE that any law officer who kills someone or who causes a death (or abets another officer in doing that)…immediately resign or be fired.

No exceptions.

If it is clear-cut that the death was both justified and necessary, that could quickly be determined by a jury panel established just for that purpose. The individual would essentially have to establish that the death met that criteria. And if the panel finds that to be the case, the individual could be re-hired.

This would not be establishing a “guilty until proven innocent” protocol. There would be no punishment other than not being able to hold a job requiring that it be done without killing people unless there is a significant reason established for doing so.

Harsh! Yeah. I’ve got seven family members/close relatives who either are currently cops or who were cops before retiring. They probably would not be happy with my suggestion here.

Fact of the matter is that I am not either.

But SOMETHING has to be done to stop this carnage!

If you’ve got a better suggestion, I’d love to hear it.

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 09:47 am
@Frank Apisa,
the mishapen justification for "murder by cop" as some kind of national right is really getting sickening. Somehow the Trumpies herein have tried to turn thi around by focusing on angry responses by the people yet they dont seem to want to address the baseline issues of systemic racism and ssumed unaccountability by police.

Yeh, police arent brown shirts they are public servants.

This shits gotta stop!!.
engineer

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:15 am
@Frank Apisa,
The reality is that there is a large group of people in the US who are completely good with the status quo and those people vote. There is another large group that finds the situation regrettable, but not really something that impacts them very much and those people vote too.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
We have to decide what we want from police. It is a fact that more armed police does mean less crime. If you are going to have armed police, then you can't punish them for using the weapons that you gave them.

There is a trade-off here. Frank's suggestion will likely lead to more crime, and fewer people willing to be police officers.

If you want less rape, you need more policing. Choose wisely.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:29 am
@Frank Apisa,
I just looked.

There are well under 1,500 Americans killed by police each year (this is a far lower number than I was expecting). More Americans are killed by Heatstroke than by Police.

The importance of the BLM movement is racial disparity.. the problem of systemic racism influencing law enforcement goes far beyond police killings.

The use of the word "carnage" for something that is actually quite rare in the US is a little dramatic.
0 Replies

seac

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 11:36 am
@Frank Apisa,
In my state, there are not that many shootings done by police. When it does happen, it makes the news with little interest from viewers. There have been some shootings where the suspects were armed with a sharp object and resisting orders to disarm before being shot multiple times. We wonder if the shooting was the only way to subdue the person. Other times it was a suspect trying to run away in a car and tries to hit an officer before multiple shots are fired to kill. Maybe they could have shot out the tires instead. Yeah, maybe the police should change their ways. I just don't see this as a political thing at all.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 12:37 pm
@seac,
most police shootings Ive red about here, involve a victim shot several times IN THE BACK.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 01:37 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

the mishapen justification for "murder by cop" as some kind of national right is really getting sickening. Somehow the Trumpies herein have tried to turn thi around by focusing on angry responses by the people yet they dont seem to want to address the baseline issues of systemic racism and ssumed unaccountability by police.

Yeh, police arent brown shirts they are public servants.

This shits gotta stop!!.

When you have people like Max noting that ONLY 1500 Americans are killed by police each year (less than die by heartstroke, whatever that is)...I doubt there will be much done.

Perhaps it is better for humanity that our nation seems intent on self-destruction.

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 01:37 pm
Good grief.

If these BLM thugs want police officers to stop defending themselves against them, they need to stop trying to murder police officers.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If you are just talking about police killings (and not about racial injustice)... then aren't there more important things for us to talk about?

200,000 people have died of covid-19
40,000 people will die of automobile accident
36,000 people will die from falls
64,000 people will die from accidental poisoning
5,000 die from suffocation
3,500 drown.

and 1,200 will be killed by police.

Sure only 95 people will be killed by foreign terrorism ... so you are little less crazy than the people obsessed with terrorism.

But come on... don't you have better things to be outraged about?

0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 02:46 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
More Americans are killed by Heatstroke than by Police.

This comparison is very misleading. Police are public servants. We pay the police. Every instance of murder by a police officer, justified or not, means that someone deliberately aimed a lethal weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. On our dime. The total number of people who drown, die of heatstroke, or suffer fatal injuries playing sports might be similar but, compared to killings by police, the social implications are very different.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 02:48 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Quote:
More Americans are killed by Heatstroke than by Police.

This comparison is very misleading. Police are public servants. We pay the police. Every instance of murder by a police officer, justified or not, means that someone deliberately aimed a lethal weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. On our dime. The total number of people who drown, die of heatstroke, or suffer fatal injuries playing sports might be similar but, compared to killings by police, the social implications are very different.

I agree... but that isn't the point.

The number of people being killed by police is very small. Sure, no one should be killed by police unless absolutely necessary. But that doesn't change the reality.

This isn't happening very often.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 03:35 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Police are public servants. We pay the police. Every instance of murder by a police officer, justified or not, means that someone deliberately aimed a lethal weapon at another person and pulled the trigger. On our dime.

Justified shootings by their very definition aren't murder.
RABEL222

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:45 pm
@oralloy,
Police shootings are always given a pass by the justice system weather justified or unjustified. Breaking into s girls house and killing her sure as hell can't be justified except by idiots like Max and Ollie.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 04:46 pm
@RABEL222,
RABEL222 wrote:

Police shootings are always given a pass by the justice system weather justified or unjustified. Breaking into s girls house and killing her sure as hell can't be justified except by idiots like Max and Ollie.

You are lying. I have never justified such a thing here or anywhere else.

Sturgis

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 05:22 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
You are lying. I have never justified such a thing...

Speaking of lying maximillius, earlier in this very thread you offered up justification for the police to shoot people!

www.able2know.org/topic/552359-1#post-7061280

Your words: "If you are going to have armed police, then you can't punish them for using the weapons that you gave them. "
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 05:56 pm
@maxdancona,
Even soldiers have rules of engagement, obeyed upon peril of military justice that can and has included execution. Cops cannot be above that. Soldiers are the knife edge agents of failed diplomacy, cops are supposedly OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS.
oralloy

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 06:11 pm
@farmerman,
The rules of engagement allow police officers to defend themselves when black people try to murder them.
farmerman

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 06:24 pm
@oralloy,
only black people, I seee.
You should go back down to the basement and play some puter games. Youre starting to sound more loopy than usual.
Youre really not too big on forensic evidence are you?? Ruls of engagement do NOT allow officers to open fire when a suspect is fleeing the scene with their back to your weapon.

1Its a danger to civilians in a miscalculated line of fire

2The suspect is no further risk even if he had been originally pointing a gun

Further, it Seems to me, many officers shouldnt even have guns because when a killing by cop is often over, dozens of casings from their weapons are collected at the scene.

8 bullets in someones back, you call that justified police action?? I call it murder 2.

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Sep, 2020 07:13 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Even soldiers have rules of engagement, obeyed upon peril of military justice that can and has included execution. Cops cannot be above that. Soldiers are the knife edge agents of failed diplomacy, cops are supposedly OUR PUBLIC SERVANTS.

1. I believe that police reform means clarifying the rules about use of force. Police officers should be well trained and held accountable.

2. I believe that sometimes police officers must use deadly force. When this happens, the police officers should be supported legally, professionally and emotionally.

3. I believe that sometimes police officers make mistakes. When this happens police officers should be given due process with the understanding that they are in a difficult job that (unlike my job) occasionally requires them to make slip second life and death decisions.

4. I believe that sometimes police officers act in a criminally negligent, racist or reckless way. In these cases the officers involved should be held accountable with criminal charges leveled when necessary. Even in this case, police officers should be offered due process under the law.

5. None of this changes the fact that a very low number of Americans, under 1,200 are killed by police officers each year.

What are we arguing about?

Are you disagreeing with either of these points? If you make a rational argument, then I can either agree or disagree. I am not hearing that.

1. Forums
  2. » Way too many citizens being killed by police!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 03:46:27